Behavior Issue Resources
If you are considering rehoming your cat because of behavior issues, please read these tips and resources. |
HSUS Tip Sheets:
Scratching solutions and infromation:
National HSUS Having Trouble Affording your pet list:
Any or multiple behaviour issues:
- If your cat is inappropriately urinating in your house, it is extremely important to get your cat into the vet. Your kitty could have a painful medical problem that is causing your cat to have complete or partial litter box aversion.
- If all is clear with your vet, try switching litter types or kind of litter boxes. Cats prefer a large, uncovered litter box with an unscented litter. Dr Elsey's Cat Attract clumping cat litter has a special additive in it to encourage the cat to use the litterbox. Come into the shelter to get a free bag of Cat Attract (Only 1 bag per household).
- Consider using Feliway, a synthetic feline facial pheromone that helps with multiple behavior problems. Many of our staff, volunteers, and adopters have found this product to be the key to a happy home. We supply this product in our shelter at a lower cost in effort to help keep cats happily in their home. The Fort Collins Cat Rescue sells the diffuser for $31.11 and refills for $16.59 (includes tax).
Please recognize that FCCRSNC is not a boarding facility. When you surrender your cat or kitten
to us, you are signing a form relinquishing ownership of your animal and are not guaranteed to
be able to adopt your cat or kittens back. Try placing your cat in a boarding facility to see
what your home will be like without your pet by your side. It will also give you some time to
make changes in your home or life without giving up your pet. The
and The Cat House
are two cat only boarding facilities in Northern Colorado. Veterinarians may also offer
- Contact a behaviorist. Behaviorists work with many different home situations, animal personalities, and circumstances to help resolve issues. Check out these behaviorsts' websites for more information on their services:
- Consider using Feliway, a synthetic feline facial pheromone that helps with multiple behavior problems. Many of our staff, volunteers, and adopters have found this product to be the key to a happy home. We supply this product in our shelter at a lower cost in effort to help keep cats happily in their home.
If these resources are not an option, please refer to the relinquishments page.